Okay. At our recent movie night a guest called me on the carpet and gave me ‘what for’ regarding the tagline I have used on this web site and on our chapter promotional material: “Houston: First Word From the Moon!” His objection is that “Houston” was NOT the first word from the Moon. Okay. Here’s the sequence, from the official transcripts:
- The tip of Eagle‘s landing gear probe touches the lunar surface look these up. Aldrin, monitoring, calls out, “Contact light!”
- Armstrong calls out, “Shutdown.” Aldrin replies, “Okay hno8hrc. Engine stop.”
- Aldrin calls out, “ACA out of Detent.” Armstrong replies, “Out of Detent. Auto.”
- Aldrin says, “Mode Control, both Auto. Descent Engine Command Override, Off. Engine Arm, Off. 413 is in.”
- Charlie Duke breaks in with a transmission from Earth, “We copy you down, Eagle.”
- However, Armstrong and Aldrin still have some housekeeping to perform. Armstrong says, “Engine arm is off.” He pauses.
- Then, Armstrong makes the first communication of intelligence specifically directed from humans on another celestial body to humans on Earth: “Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed.”
The tagline stands as is.
Our annual chapter Christmas party will be held in a local member’s home on the evening of Monday, December 12th beginning at 7:00 p.m. We plan to have a variety of appetizers and snacks as well as adult and soft beverages. If you can bring a dish or dessert, we will accept with thanks. For directions and more information send an RSVP email to <a href="mailto:info@nss-houston-moon cymbalta cost.org”>firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know how many will be coming. We look forward to seeing you there!
The 2017 International Space Development Conference will be held in St. Louis, Missouri from May 25th through May 29th, 2017 Find Out More. I have already registered for this conference and I hope to have a strong Houston Chapter presence for the meeting. If you can’t attend personally I encourage you to think about what you might be able to contribute in the way of flyers and handouts; we should have a table for literature distribution at the ISDC. Feel free to discuss this with me at any of our upcoming Chapter meetings or activities—-Eric B.
EDIT (October 10th): Just got word from St. Louis, the price is going up! Right now NSS members who register can get an “Early Bird” rate of just $100 for the full conference, but that ends on October 15th! So, if you have any inclination to attend, get your registration in now!
The Clear Lake Area Chapter will host a “Movie Night” in the private home of one of our members the evening of November 14th, 2016 beginning at 7:00 p.m. Popcorn, candy and beverages (hard & soft) will be available. The movie is TBD; it will be chosen the night of the event based on audience feedback. There is no charge for the movie or event; voluntary contributions will be accepted for the refreshments. The home is near the Space Center; for directions and detailed information send an RSVP email to <a href="mailto:info@nss-houston-moon cymbalta price.org”>email@example.com
The board members of the National Space Society will be meeting in Houston for their fall board meeting the weekend of October 21st-23rd, 2016 go now. The Clear Lake Area Chapter welcomes them and has plans for a social event to be held in conjunction with the activities. This will be open to chapter members and invited guests only, but if you want more information send an inquiry email to firstname.lastname@example.org
On Monday evening, October 17th, 2016 starting at 7:00 p.m cymbalta anxiety. the Clear Lake Area National Space Society & Moon Society chapter will hold its annual business meeting and election of officers at the Bay Area Community Center in Clear Lake Park. Refreshments will be available and as time permits we will have material to present on Space Colonization. We will also discuss other upcoming events.